A preposition links a noun or pronoun to another word in a sentence. Prepositions tell more about time, place, and motion in a sentence. They also describe the relationship of a noun to a verb, adverb or adjective. Without them, sentences would be choppy and would not make sense.
Commonly Used Prepositions
But, we are only going to focus on 10 of the most commonly used prepositions, that include:
Given below are some examples of prepositional phrases. Here, the prepositions are underlined.
Read some example sentences below. Notice how the prepositions are used to connect words in a sentence.
1. She read the book by herself.
2. Annette looked at the clock.
3. Go over the bridge and then turn left.
4. Mr. Sam was standing across the hallway.
5. Bring a grocery bag with you when we collect garbage.
6. Thomas told us about his trip downtown.
7. The batch of cookies we baked is delicious!
8. Tom made chicken for dinner.
9. We went to the movies.
10. Tina took the mail from the post office.
List of Common Prepositions
Copyright © 2013 Turtlediary.com. All rights reserved. www.turtlediary.com