A noun is a word used to name a person, place or thing. Everything around us has a name. People, animals, places and things have names that we call nouns. Nouns are also called 'naming words'. Mother, father, cow, pig, table, book, school are all 'naming words' or 'nouns'.
1. Are you sitting on a 'chair'? The word 'chair' is its name or 'naming word'. It can not eat and drink or move. It has no life. It is a thing.The names of the things that you can see around you are their naming words.
2. A 'teacher' helps you to study in school. The word 'teacher' is the naming word for someone who teaches in school. Similarly, the word 'driver' is the naming word for someone who drives a vehicle. Thus, these are the naming words for a person.
3. Have you seen a cat or a dog? These are naming words for animals. The names of the animals that are their naming words or nouns.
4. Where do you go to study? School is a naming word for a place.
5. Which city do you live in? The name of that city is its naming word or noun.
Some Examples of Naming Words:
Things - Chair, Pen
Person - Driver, Teacher
Animal - Cat, Dog
Places - School, Home