We have five sense organs. They help us to explore the world around us. Eyes help us to see while ears help us to hear the sound. We take help of our senses to perform our daily tasks.
In this chapter, you will learn about our five senses and how we can take care of them.
Our Five Senses:
- Sense of Smell- We use our nose to smell. We can differentiate between a yummy cookie and a fresh flower through its smell.
- Sense of Touch- We touch and feel through our skin. We can feel the difference between a soft rabbit and a hard rock.
- Sense of Taste- We use our tongue to taste. Our sense of taste tells us the difference between sugar and salt.
- Sense of Hearing- We use our ears to hear. We can hear the difference between cat and dog sound.
- Sense to Sight- We use our eyes to see. We can see the different colors in a rainbow.
Now learn how we can take care of our sense organs.
Steps to take care of your eyes:
- Use proper light when studying, drawing, using the computer etc.
- Don't let anything hurt your eye.
- Don't touch or rub your eyes or you may hurt them.
- Don't put anything into your eye until the doctor tells you to. If something goes into your eye, blink several times, to make it come out. Wash your eyes with clean water and show it to a doctor.
- Use sun glasses when you go out. They will protect your eyes from the harmful effects of the sun's rays. Don't try to look at the sun with naked eyes.
- Take a break when working on a computer or studying for a long time. Give rest to your eyes.
- Eat healthy food. Eat green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli and cabbage. Carrots, mangoes, cod liver oil, olive oil, milk and eggs are good for the eye sight. Eat a lot of fruits such as blueberries and strawberries.
- If you have any of the following problems, show it to the doctor.
- -irritation in the eyes,
- -pain / redness / watering,
- -difficulty in reading or seeing things.
Steps to take care of your nose:
- Don't put anything into your nose.
- If you have a cold, blow your nose with a clean tissue. Don't use dirty hands or dirty cloth.
- Don't pick your nose.
- Cut your nails regularly as germs live and grow in long nails.
- If you have a nose bleed, sit in a chair. Bend the head a little in front. Call the doctor.
Steps to take care of your tongue:
- Clean your tongue when you brush your teeth.
- Don't eat or drink very hot food.
- Don't put sharp things in your mouth.
- Avoid too spicy food.
- Eat healthy food.
- Don't lick dirty objects.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water, after eating.
Steps to take care of your skin:
- Wash your hands before and after eating and after using the bathroom, with soap and clean water.
- Take a bath daily.
- Apply sunscreen lotion before going out in the sun.
- Protect your skin from chemicals, cuts, bruises.
- Cover cuts, scrapes and other open sores with a sterile bandage or gauze. Show to a doctor.
- Stay away from fire and don't touch anything hot or you may get burnt.
- Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water.
Steps to take care of your ears:
- Don't put anything into your ears.
- Don't swim or wash in dirty water.
- If you have pain in your ears show to the doctor.